Monday 21 June 2010

Knees

Sunday 20th June 2010

For the last 4 years Sunday evenings have been "get fit with Anna time". Anna is my Best Friend Forever, and she comes to my house on Sunday evenings to help bath Zac and put him to bed (simpler than it sounds!), after which we do some form of exercise... aerobics, step, running, or a Davina McCall workout DVD! In recent months, due to the lighter evenings, it has been running every time.

This evening Anna is tired and I have sore knees (more of that to come!), so we decide on a 5k circuit from my house down to the riverside, taking in views of the River Medway, Rochester Castle and the beautiful historic centre of Rochester.

It's a chance to test out my super-shiny bouncy new running shoes (my secret weapon against the sore knees), and of course to catch up on the week's news. It is a stunning evening in Rochester, blue sky on sparkling water, the sun low enough to turn the castle wall watermelon pink. We spot a pair of swans building a huge nest by the river. Gossip flows freely and life feels good!

We complete the circuit in 37 minutes. Yes, I know this is BAD. But you have to take into account the following: 1) Rochester is very hilly, 2) we were talking non-stop, 3) Anna's tiredness plus my sore knees and 4) this is only the FIRST blog entry... hopefully things will improve!

Returning home, we stretch, and then I put a bag of frozen green beans on each knee, on the advice of my "proper" running friend Katie Burtonshaw (hereafter known as "Katie Bertie"). A legitimate excuse to sit and rest! We will see tomorrow if the knees have survived.

Watch this space.

P.S. According to Katie Bertie, true runners always list their distance in miles, not kilometres. She is an avid running journal keeper, logging her weekly and yearly distance totals in a series of beautifully kept diaries. So, for the record, I will keep track of the distances I run, at the end of each blog entry. Here goes!

Distance run (in miles): 3.1
Total distance this week: 3.1
Total since starting blog: 3.1

No comments:

Post a Comment