Saturday 21 August 2010

Steep

Week 2 of our holiday on the Isle of Wight. The weather has been see-sawing between torrential rain and blazing sunshine, which has limited my running opportunities a little! However, I have managed two runs this week:

Monday 16th August

The coastal path between Bonchurch and VentnorFollowing a beautiful blue-sky day, the evening is cool and clear, and I have a chance for a longish run. My 10K fundraiser at Bedgebury is less than 4 weeks away, so I decide to try to run that distance in less than 60 minutes - something I haven’t managed to do yet.

The plan is to run to Ventnor and back three times, which will be 7.5 miles, but to time the first 6.2 miles (10k), which I have measured out on Google Maps… I need to press Stop on my stopwatch when I reach the post-box in Ventor for the 3rd time!

Speedy music on my iPod helps my pace, and the gorgeous sunset on water soothes my soul. I push myself, keeping an eye on the stopwatch, and am so happy to reach the post-box in 57 minutes and 25 seconds - my first sub-60 10K! I jog the last mile or so home at a relaxed pace, watching the final streaks of red sky give way to midnight blue and crescent moon on water.

Thursday 19th August

A challenge.

I have been eyeing up the huge hills between Bonchurch and Shanklin - a route that we drive most days and which looks ridiculously steep and twisty, but with amazingly dramatic views over the cliffs and sea. A careful measure on Google Maps shows the route (there and back) to be 7.3 miles, but I’m guessing it would feel more like 10 with those hills!

One of the fab views on my runA sunny afternoon, and the children are sleeping, swimming and learning survival skills, respectively, so with a little trepidation (and no music - I need to focus!), I set off for Shanklin, hitting the first hill almost immediately. There is no level ground on this route - it is all uphill and downhill and STEEP. It makes Rochester seem like Holland! I physically cannot run on some of the uphills and am forced to power walk. I can’t even enjoy the long downhills, because I know that I will have to run up them on the return journey!

I make it to The Crab - a pub in Shanklin that I’ve chosen as my turning-round point - any further into town and I’d be battling with tourists for pavement space. The return journey is equally tiring, but at least it ends on a huge downhill. My time is pretty poor: 1 hour 23 minutes, but I don’t care - I’m just glad to have made it at all! (And the views were fantastic.)


Distance run (in miles): Monday 7.5, Thursday 7.3
Total mileage this week: 14.8
Total mileage for August: 47.7
Total since starting blog: 179.8

No comments:

Post a Comment