Tuesday 6 July 2010

Jim

Monday 5th July 2010

First things first: a quick update! Anyone who read my “Russian Roulette” post will remember that I took my life in my hands by spraying myself with an “unknown” sunscreen (I am super-allergic), and was unsure whether I would have a reaction or not. Several people have asked me what happened. Well, I didn’t react, BUT, as I showered immediately after my run, I may have just washed it all off, so the truth is, I still don’t know if the Nivea Kids Factor 50 (green) is safe or not!

Anyway, back to today. Just a small window of running opportunity, and it would once again have to be on the treadmill at the gym, because of the need for childcare. Baby Lily-Rose is almost 18 months old and is not yet walking or talking much (she can say “shoe”!), but understands an awful lot. However, when I say “Let’s go to the gym”, she instantly looks round hopefully and I just know she is looking for Jim, Anna’s husband, whom she likes very much!

Once she is safely settled in the gym crèche, I hop on the treadmill and program in 50 minutes – that’s all I have. I’m still on a high from seeing the preview of Eclipse last night (which was FANTASTIC!) and I have a new podcast – an analysis of the film – which helps detract from the boredom of treadmill running.

The other thing that detracts is, of course… people watching! Let me introduce you to some of the regular faces I see at my gym.

There’s Bendy Ponytail Man – he must be in his late 60s or early 70s, an ex-hippy, with a long grey ponytail and an extraordinarily flexible body, which he likes to contort into various yoga positions in the middle of the gym floor. He’s pretty cool!

Then we have the Golden Girls – a gaggle of 4 or 5 “mature” ladies, their leader being very tall and thin with bright orange hair. I have never seen any of them do any form of exercise, but they are always in the lounge area of the gym, clad in lycra, sharing tea and cake and enjoying a gossip.

There is Highlighty Beefcake Man – he has stepped straight out of the early ‘90s with his long blonde highlights, fake tan, tiny shorts and bulging biceps. I think that in his mind he is a Gladiator (think Ulrika Jonsson, not Russell Crowe).

Also, we have Leggings Lady – an extremely large girl probably in her early twenties. I believe she would be categorised as morbidly obese and I admire her dedication very much, as she is at the gym pretty much every time I go, usually on the exercise bikes. She has a long way to go, but is obviously seriously trying to improve her health.

There are lots of other regulars, and I will introduce you to some more another time. I wonder what name they would give me!

Distance run (in miles): 5.2
Total mileage this week: 5.2
Total mileage for July: 14.1
Total since starting blog: 64.0

No comments:

Post a Comment